Saturday, January 12, 2013

Monster Island

Give me your life, your warmth, your flesh


This novel was very very interesting, of course I'm talking about "Monster Island" by David Wellington. I myself love zombie movies, novels, T.V shows and comics. They seem to be everywhere these days, now authors and directors are trying to push new concepts so its not just "run from the massive hoard of zombies as they try to eat you" concept. 

What I really loved about this novel was the different points of view as a reader and how much I could get "into" the characters head (without trying to eat their brains). I especially loved the half human/half undead perspective of stumbling out of the ice tub, pulling out the tubes confused, cold and no pulse. Busting out into the sun as if it was my first time seeing the light of day, my legs weak beneath me as I grasp to keep my lungs from bursting, then I collapse. Staring up at the blue sky, with the thought of being hungry. That little hint of being hungry was a perfect touch. Its like this primal instinct that takes over, but at the same time its not BRAINS BRAINS BRAINS! The author made it seem somewhat peaceful by letting us see it from our human side, and its something we can connect with and what I mean by that is waking up and having that natural instinct of hunger. Its a normal everyday thing, but of course he wasn't talking about breakfast of course.

I don't think I've read or seen anything that dealt with the undead that still had some human traits remaining, which got me hooked right away. I wouldn't say its a ground breaking concept but it was a breath of fresh air ( which is funny when the subject matter is the undead ). This novel is cut away from the dry and rotted zombie genre and gave me a nice refreshing look into what it would be like trying to survive in a world of the dead with humans trying to kill you .


No comments:

Post a Comment